Cytokines are protein, hormone-like messenger molecules that allow cells to communicate, altering one another’s function and regulating cell proliferation. In particular, cytokines dictate the strength and targets of inflammatory and immune response.
Cytokines target the area of concern and increase vascularity (pathways for the blood system — allowing the body access to fight and repair), resulting in inflammation.
When we experience joint discomfort, pain, stiffness, loss of mobility or flexibility, one or all of the following are root causes:
- Micro cartilage tears – breaks in the cartilage matrix result in the bones of the joint to be closer than they should be (it hurts and often limits flexibility);
- Micro bone fissures – during repair by the body, irregular bone structures (often called bone spurs) may result. These irregular bone structures may tear cartilage, and often result in joints ‘grinding’ or ‘catching’;
- Inflammation — driven by cytokine function, inflammation alone decreases flexibility and mobility of the joint, and causes both tenderness and pain.
Disease, repeated joint stress or repeated joint issues often result in a destructive inflammation cascade:
- Cytokines are released; vascularity in the affected area increases
- Inflammation builds in the affected area; pain, tenderness and discomfort are evident The body sends bone tissue and cartilage repair elements to the affected joint. The inflammation impedes proper repair.
- Bone spurs and/or hard/dense bone build up, further damaging already weakened and inflamed cartilage
- Inflamed cartilage is challenging for the body to repair properly. As well, repair elements may be challenging to deliver to the inflamed areas, increasing likelihood of additional bone damage
- Additional damage (to the bone and cartilage) occurs through continued use (movement) of the poorly repaired site
- More cytokines are released: cytokine production can multiply 1000 fold when activated Inflammation builds further, and the destructive inflammation cascade continues: cytokine release, inflammation, poor repair, movement, additional damage, cytokine release, inflammation, etc
Managing the inflammation cascade is paramount to reducing pain and effectively repairing the affected joint area. In over 30 clinical trials and studies, FlexNow® with 100% SheaFlex70TM has been proven to modulate the production of cytokines and control the destructive inflammation cascade:
- Cytokine management: Reduces cytokine production: IL-6 by 31% and TNF-a by 24%
- Inflammation reduction: Reduces inflammation by 9X
- Bone regulation: Reduces bone destruction (and repair requirement) by almost 10%
- Cartilage retention: Reduces breakdown in cartilage by 44%
- Pain management: Reduces pain by 45%
Learn more about Triterpenes: Nature’s Steroids
Learn more about our Satisfaction Guarantee